Bright & Colorful Dyed Flowers


Dyeing easter eggs is such a nostalgic memory from my childhood. Sometimes my cousins would come over and we would use one of those box kits with a white crayon, colorful tablets to dip in water and stickers. We'd get dye all over our hands and write our names on our eggs.  It was so much fun! Now, I can't even remember the last time I dyed eggs.  Since I don't buy eggs anymore I wanted to think of a new take on the dyed easter egg, and thought of dyeing flowers fun colors.

 I bought some white roses, daisies and chrysanthemums from my local florist (they have the best cactus!) and used a generous amount of food dye (neon, fall, and standard) to color the water. These dyes were given to me when a friend was moving out of the country over 6 years ago and I've never used them until now.






The flowers almost immediately started to change colors. You can see the slightest hint of color in the picture above. The purple neon dye (second to the right) didn't work.  After a few hours most of the flowers were already brightly colored, but not the purple. Even after I switched the water and the flowers didn't want to absorb dye. So avoid purples. The roses seemed to be the most receptive to the dye.


The picture above is after only an hour of dyeing, and below is how they looked after dyeing overnight. So bright & colorful!!





So happy with how poppy the colors turned out. My favorite colors have to be the neon green, which looks chartreuse, and the orange rose.

This is so easy and fun & would be a great project to do with kids, too. Let me know if you give this a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...