Cyanotype love!


When I saw the google doodle today honoring badass botanist and early photographer Anna Atkins I had to share these placemats I made using the very same cyanotype technique she used over 150 years ago to document algae. I love that this early photographic process is almost exactly the same as when it was invented and still widely used today. It makes such beautiful Prussian blue hues. 

For a collaboration with Design*Sponge I was making sun print place cards. So, while I was at it why not make play with cyanotype on fabric? It was fall and then leaves were perfect. I love the way they turned out. Subtle purple leaf shapes, and undulating blues.

If you want to give cyanotypes a go you can try a sun print kit, or Lumi Inkodye, which works a lot like cyanotypes, but comes in lots of great colors!






No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...