Thread of connection

From the home of Jaque of Larks & Japes

I spent the weekend in the woods of Connecticut, with ladies I'd never really met before, in the home of a kind and creative stranger. Now, a new friend. It left me longing for more time with friends, more making, more late night talks, more time to catch frogs. You know, all the really important stuff that there just never feels like enough time for. It was all part of a small gathering called Retreat, but more on that tomorrow.

I came home thinking I'd be all refreshed and have new energy, but all I could think of was all the work I had to do and how much nicer long roads lined with trees and a cabins in the woods are. Connecting to nature and other's can be such a challenge for me working from home in New York, but I really long for it. Maybe it's just how the vast majority of us live. Wake up, work, eat, sleep, repeat.

I watched this film, Connected, on Netflix, as I stitched a project yesterday. It opens and closes with the quote above, which I later found is a much debated quote. Here's another supposedly more accurate version: 

"When we try to pick out anything by itself we find that it is bound fast by a thousand invisible cords that cannot be broken, to everything in the universe. "

Struck me. Reminded me of this post about interconnectivity, a world bound in secret knots.

Here's to making an effort to stay connected in a more personal way. Not sure how, but I guess I making a small gesture right here, right now. So what's going on with you? Caught any frogs lately? Made any thing cool? Discovered a great new recipe?

Hope you're having a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, we named our "frog" Herbie. He lives under the thyme in the garden and likes to make me jump when I go to fetch the herbs. If he is the same one from last year, he has grown a lot. What is the life span of a frog? And yes, I made something SUPER COOL and will be revealing all soon, but keeping the giddy excitement to myself for just a little while longer until I'm sure I've got the "recipe" right! I often try to DO LESS. But it's hard when life is just so thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,

      I can almost see you jumping when Herbie startles you. I was doing that all weekend with all the tiny frogs jumping about unexpectedly. Curious about what you're making- let me know! Would love to see.
      -jessica

      Delete

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...