Inspired by beautiful tattered rags...

...or Boro, Japanese for "tattered rags".
vintage Japanese Boro


































These vintage Japanese cloths are a lot like American quilts, but were made to be used, a lot. What I really love about them is that all the layered fabrics and textured stitches are not just an aesthetic choice, but traces of their use and the care taken to repair them. The more use, the more patches and stitches, the more history and beauty. No wonder these pieces are so expensive. I'd love one, especially an indo one on my bed.




All images via Kimonoboy & more here on Japanese textile history

1 comment:

  1. How cool. I read the Japanese Folk Textiles website and it was really fascinating. I really learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...