A Month of Mail: day 8

good bye Maurice...
day 8
day 8So sad to hear this morning that Maurice Sendak had past away. I remember my parents taking me to see an operatic stage rendition of Where the Wild Things Are at the LA Music Center. It's a really fuzzy, early memory for me. I was 7 or 8 and it was the first stage play I'd ever seen. What stayed with me was the image of these giant monsters swinging from big, leafy trees.

Talking to my dad today about it was nice- he had vivid memories of our first trip as a family to an opera. He talked about how fantastical the staging was, that the monsters looked to be about 12 feet tall, how amazing the boat scene was. It's a great memory to share with my dad...

In keeping with my month of mail theme, I just had to share this handsome envelope Sendak decorated with silly and sweet drawings. I would love such a piece of mail...
via Shaun Usher's twitter, creator of the awesome site Letters of Note (<-- Go to there!)


You should really give this NPR interview with Sendak a listen. I was crying at Sendak's raw, sincerity. He ends with this...
"live your life, live your life, live your life." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...